Formed in 2017 our Wakefield’s five GP federations, our member practices work collaboratively as part of a confederation so that we can deliver greater benefits for patients across Wakefield District.
On this page you can learn more about the beliefs and principles we work to, our milestones and awards and the local partners we work closely with to make Wakefield District healthcare the best it can be.
Our mission, our vision and our values
To work collaboratively with and on behalf of primary care networks and practices to improve health, wellbeing and patient experience in the Wakefield District and beyond.
To deliver high quality, accessible and innovative health and wellbeing services through a dynamic well trained and developed general practice workforce.
To generate surplus for the benefit and in support of general practices and primary care networks (PCNs) in Wakefield District in order to improve health, wellbeing and patient experience.
To represent the voice, contribution and opportunity for general practice to play its role to improve the health and wellbeing of the local population.
By definition and in our actions and behaviours Conexus is a ‘connecting structure’.
- Make it easier for the local POPULATION to connect with high quality services to improve their health & wellbeing.
- Develop, train and support the wellbeing of the PEOPLE connected with general practice.
- Improve the resilience and effectiveness of PRACTICES to remain connected to their patients.
- Positively promote primary care within the Wakefield PLACE connecting with the West Yorkshire integrated care system.
- Connect with and create strong and positive PARTNERSHIPS through collaboration.
Transparency and honesty in all that we do.
Listen to others and collaborate in a spirit of trust.
Deliver great value through quality and innovation.
Proud to grow our business and learn from mistakes.
Share our learning generously to help more practices, patients, and the public.
Develop services, training and partnerships to respond, think and succeed faster.
Cultivate and develop primary care staff, providers and leaders.
Conexus Healthcare Annual Report
Our annual report outlines our achievements in General Practices and Primary Care Networks (PCN) for the 12 months from June 2020 to May 2021.
Some of our successes include:
- Extending our usual Evening and Weekend service to quickly support patients and practices as they continued to navigate their way through the pandemic and vaccine roll out.
- Welcoming and supporting three Primary Care Networks enabling them to build on their existing primary care services and offer more personalised and integrated healthcare to their patients.
- Working with local partners to provide a COVID testing service for vulnerable patients in response to the pandemic.
- Delivering 129 FREE training sessions to 1852 clinical and non-clinical practice staff in Wakefield.
- Collaborating with our partners and winning the Clinical Team category of the PharmaTimes International Clinical Researcher of the Year award 2021.
To find out more, read our Conexus Healthcare Annual Report 2021.
- Awarded GP Care Wakefield (Extended Access) district-wide contract.
- Began delivery of care navigation training programme (active signposting) district-wide and nationwide.
- Awarded NHS Health Checks district-wide contract.
- Began to offer routine care in GP Care Wakefield.
- Won HSJ Value Award for GP Care Wakefield.
- Awarded NHS Lung Health Checks district-wide contract.
- Introduction of telephone clinical assessments in GP Care Wakefield.
- Conexus joins forces with Wakefield Resilience Academy to expand training and support for practice staff locally and beyond.
- Partnership starts with Bromley-by-Bow and University of East London to offer country’s first qualification in social prescribing.
- Procured tools at scale and training for Wakefield District practices and primary care networks.
- New corporate governance and Board structure.
- Mobilisation of Covid-19 ‘hot’ sites and staff in response to pandemic.
- Social prescribing qualification and training goes online.
- Developed district-wide document management programme in partnership with Pennine GPA.
- Delivery of the COVID-19 testing service supporting the public and the health and care workforce.
- Mobilisation of the COVID-19 vaccine centres and recruitment of staff in response to the pandemic.
- Extended hours of GP Care to support our member practices as they navigate their way through the second and third waves of the pandemic and the vaccine roll out.
- Opened a new GP Care site at Elizabeth Court Surgery in the east of the Wakefield district.
- Continued to deliver free online training sessions for Wakefield practices & primary care networks.
Patient experience, learner feedback and positive support from our member practices are the most important success signals for Conexus.
It’s still nice to be recognised for the hard work of our teams and practices though in national awards. Here are just a few of them:
Conexus is proud to be the voice for Wakefield District’s general practice system. We sit firmly around the table with other local partners and providers to advise, plan, coordinate and deliver vital district-wide healthcare services and projects.