Got symptoms of coronavirus? Don’t delay, book a test today.
Anyone living in Wakefield District can now get a free NHS test to check if they have coronavirus.
Tests are quick and easy to do and are one of the best ways to protect our families and help the fight against coronavirus locally.
Tests can be taken at one of the local drive-in test sites located around the district for those with a car. For those who cannot drive or travel for whatever reason, a ‘drop off and take away’ test can be delivered to do at home.
Residents and key workers can apply online through the national booking website or call and book a test through the Wakefield Covid Testing Service on 01924 224497.
Do I need to get a COVID test?
Yes if you have:
- A new continuous cough (that is persistent for a couple of hours)
- A high temperature (37.8C and above or if you feel hot to touch on your chest or back)
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
If you have one or more of these symptoms, however mild, it is vital that you contact the national NHS test and trace service by visiting www.nhs.uk/coronavirus or calling 119.
Tests are currently in very high demand so you must only use this service if you have symptoms.
I’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive – what should I do?
You must self-isolate for 14 days to protect others and book a test only if you show any of the symptoms.
A negative test result makes no difference, as you could develop the infection at any time during the 14 day period, so the simple rule is to stay at home for this period.
I am a key worker or have a child here in Wakefield District with symptoms
If you are:
- A parent or carer of a child aged 2+ with symptoms
- A teacher or family member who lives in their household with symptoms
- An essential local authority worker or family members who lives in their household with symptoms
- A social care worker, a care home worker or family member who lives in their household with symptoms
- A frontline emergency service worker or family member who lives in their household with symptoms
Call and book a test with the Wakefield COVID Testing Service on 01924 224497 or speak to your line manager or HR department who will advise what to do.
All local information relating to COVID-19 in Wakefield District can be found on the Wakefield Council website.